Friday 30 August 2013

UBA: What's killing your Great Brand?

 

I got my Standard Trust Bank Account in 2003 (now UBA)
For the larger part of the last decade, UBA has been the most loved bank in Nigeria. It is fact also, that most of us – most people, who got UBA accounts, did so without any form of marketing. We walked in with our feet, got our forms and joined the queue at the customer service desk.
The allure of UBA was easy. The brand was slick, cool and the service was fantastic and with the slick ATM card, wao” it was heaven. Most people who got UBA accounts did because it was cool – it was almost like being associated with the UBA brand made one cool in extension. All the cool kids in school then had UBA accounts and brand loyal folks like me endured hundreds of “why don’t you have a UBA account?” type questions.
But all that, is dead. Dead and gone. At the peak of its brand might, UBA was like a new wife – it was the perfect and honest thing to do, it could do no wrong. Any complaints about poor service were done in hushed tones. But not anymore. Rumours of poor services started slowly, hush hush, and then gathered strength when influential customers found the will to complain publicly. Then came the internet banking crashes (which are still going on). Almost overnight, almost every mention of UBA on social media was in relation to some form of bad service. The mystique of infallibility, built on brilliant service is gone e.g. http://www.nairaland.com/104490/beware-uba-worst-bank-nigeria/3

                                                                  
Eventually, I needed to open a domiciliary account in one of their branch (Bode Thomas Branch in Surulere, Lagos) to deposit a check I received from Amazon affiliate programs. Let me be clear here, I have been running a domiciliary account with another bank for the past six years and I never had any issues with them. I work with a lifestyle firm in Lagos and my evenings and weekends I use it to do freelance work with www.getafreelancer.com , www.elance.com , promoting products on amazon.co.uk, clickbank and ebay on my various blogs and newsletters and I get paid in check every month. I get to deposit close to £900 in check monthly and I needed to open a new domiciliary account that I can deposit half of it and not touch it for a year that is the plan.

Did I start going from one bank to another asking what their terms for opening a domiciliary account are ,NO , I walk straight into my beloved UBA and it has been a nightmare.

The bode Thomas branch is on my way to work so I decided to stop over and pick up a form, I met a guy at the customer services, one Mr Joseph and I made inquiry about opening a domiciliary account and gave me the details and also gave me a form to fill, passport, utility bill, identity card and a form for 2 reference which I brought back the next day, all signed with photocopies. I was told that the account will be open within the next 48hrs and the account number sent to me. All this happen during the third week of July 2013

I left the bank feeling all happy and good with myself that my scheme of depositing half of my monthly pounds earning into this new account was in the right track.
Then it start happening, I got a call from a lady claiming to be my account officer and that she will have to verify my address before the account will be opened, I told her to go ahead and hope that will not delay the account , she said no.

On the 23rd of August 2013, that’s a month after I summited my form and got a call from my supposedly account officer. I went to the bank during lunch break which was the only free one hour I can spare. I met the same Mr. joseph I summited my form to and he was like , oh I can’t remember your name , I told him and he said Yes, I ask why the account hasn’t been open and nobody bother to call or send me a mail if there was any discrepancy with my details.

I was informed that they had auditors coming and so they had to stop opening new accounts and that now that am here, he will instruct the account officer to proceed with the account. It was then I informed him that one of my references gave me a call that the bank called him to confirm, this was like 2 weeks ago before today.

I left after collecting the branch phone number – 018448411 and promised to call the next day to remind them about opening the account. I eventually called the next day and the account was opened and email to me with my names spelt wrongly. How can my name be spelt wrongly when I wrote it in block letters and my identity card even had my names written on it – was I shocked? I replied the email about my name spelt wrongly and up till now, no response on that.

I already have about 345 pounds in check I wanted to deposit in that account, I now went back with the checks and ask how I can deposit it. The same customer service guy starts giving me stories, that my second reference has not returned and that it has to come first before I can deposit the check but I can pay in cash if I want to but will not be able to withdraw until the reference’s back. I now ask who was in charge of following up with references after a month of applying for this account and I was told it was my account officer that have not even met until now, I requested for her phone number and was given a number which I called right there in the bank close to six times but no response, I was left with no info on when I can deposit the checks, when the references will be in or who was going to check it, I stood there like a fool looking and left the bank.

I wrote a complaint email to their customer complain department and within 2hrs I got a response from there head office that the branch control manager has been brief concerning my plight. Truthfully, the control manager from the bode Thomas branch gave me a call and was all nice even pleading that I should come back and deposit the checks. I told her am already in my office that I will be coming the next day and was instructed to meet Mr. Joseph to accept it from me.

Today 30th of August 2013, I went to the bank to deposit the checks since have been instructed by the branch control manager to come. On getting there, I went straight to Mr Joseph and told him that have been asked to give him to checks for deposit , he did not even look at meet and said I should go meet the lady at the back to attend to me since she was the one that ask me to come. I went to the lady at the back and it turned out to be the branch control manager.
 She started by telling me that the check can only be accepted when I make a minimum balance deposit of 80 pounds , then after calling someone to confirm she then said is 70 pounds, that I must deposit that in cash before the checks can be processed. I told her am just hearing this and she said sorry for not telling earlier.

 I sat there and until I stood up and left she was still forming busy with her keyboard. Am not one that like to scream or rain abuses at someone when am angry, if I had deposited the checks in my current dorm account it would have been cleared now but I wasted one month waiting for almighty UBA .
Thank God i have not deposited a cent in the account, my current domiciliary account runs on zero minimum balance but here UBA is telling me to always have a minimum deposit of 70 pounds in the account, that’s N17, 780.
I have since deposited the checks into my domiciliary account with the other bank (am not mentioning the banks name for reasons)

The Questions I am asking UBA:

Why?
There are too many reasons why the value of the UBA brand is falling. A quick sweep of social media tells a tale of frustration, pain and disappointment from hitherto satisfied customers’
A Google search of variations of “UBA Bank problems” will supply endless links of customer complaints. But what makes these complaints worse is that the customer service reps at the branches seem to have suddenly stopped responding to customer troubles. Even worse still, the courteous staff we had come to associate with UBA all seemed to have moved to a parallel universe, leaving behind clones who didn't inherit the all-important customer first genes.
Problems?
Is it a leadership problem?
Is it because they are getting bigger comes with bigger issues?
Is it the staffs at the bode Thomas branch surulere, Lagos problem?
Is it the UBA hr problem?
Are they under staffed?
I can’t seem to understand what is going on with UBA.
Please folks, if you know where the UBA I joined in 2003 has gone to  , please tell them to return to UBA HOUSE – 54 Marina Street, Lagos
By Nath Ekanem (You can search me on google , I also run www.natekanem.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment